- Travel arrangements.
- Find and stock-up on protein drinks that actually taste good.
- Arrange people to help with the farm & kids while I'm gone.
- Start my pre-op diet.
Your liver doesn't really like being "messed" with.
The fattier or thicker your liver is, the more they have to move it and hold it up to get to where they need to work.
So... you gotta try to de-fat or shrink your liver.
Every Dr. is different, some require a full 2 week liquid low fat diet.
Some require nothing at all before surgery.
Yesterday I got the specifics of my pre-op diet.
I was very nervous about it, but I think it'll be totally do-able!
Just try to remember I said that when I'm a raging animal during a week of liquids! ;)
After receiving many questions about my pre-op diet, I decided to show you exactly what I gotta do.
Wish me luck!
I CAN do this!
Here is what My Dr. requires before the Band is put in place.
1. Starting now: Go ahead and start a 1200calorie/day diet. Most of your food choices should come from lean protein (lean red meat, grilled/baked fish, grilled/baked chicken breast, low fat cottage cheese, low fat string cheese, turkey breast, etc…), at least 1 cup of non-starchy vegetables every meal (ex. Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, zucchini, etc..), complex carbohydrates (beans, oatmeal, whole fruit, sweet potatoes, light popcorn), a small amount of healthy fats (olive oil, all natural peanut butter, plain almonds)…make sure and avoid any liquid calories and any foods high in sugar!
2.One week prior to surgery switch to the full liquid diet which consists of:
1. 2-3 high protein/low carbohydrate/high fiber meal replacement shakes per day (example…slim fast low carb or Myoplex Light)
2. One meal that consists of any liquid type food such as:
Cream Soup (i.e. cream of chicken, cream of potato, cream of broccoli, etc…) that has been starined
Hot Cereal (cream of wheat, oatmeal, grits) that has had extra skim milk added to it and been blended until it is pourable
Yogurt (sugar free and no chunks of fruit) that has had extra skim milk added to it and thinned out
Any Clear Liquid (see below)
And obviously plenty of water
3. 2 days prior to surgery switch to clear liquids which consist of:
On Sunday morning switch to a Clear liquid diet which consists of:
White Grape Juice (no pulp)
White Apple Juice (no pulp)
Broth (beef, vegetable,chicken)
Plenty of Water
Gatorade (the G2 version)
High protein clear liquid supplement such as (Isopure or Designer Whey Protein Blitz) *can get both at GNC
***MAKE SURE AND AVOID ANYTHING RED OR PURPLE ON THE CLEAR LIQUID DIET
***NOTHING BY MOUTH AFTER MIDNIGHT THE NIGHT BEFORE SURGERY. THIS INCLUDES: BREATH MINTS, GUM, HARD CANDY. YOU CAN BRUSH YOUR TEETH BUT ONLY USE A SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER AND A TINY SPECK OF TOOTHPASTE AND MAKE SURE AND SPIT EVERYTHING OUT!