Join me on my journey from a "Fat Farm Chick" into a "Healthy Hen" with the help of my new Lap-Band.

Sunday, November 22, 2009

A Month Out.... with a side of whine.

It's been a month that I've been banded now.
Things are going well, as a matter of fact, we postponed my first fill because I, luckily, have decent restriction now even with nothing in my band.

I can eat between 1/2 cup and 3/4 cup of food before I'm full.
Thats great!

This learning process has been more difficult that I expected.
I have learned that there are some things that my band does NOT like.
  • Bread (gets stuck and makes me slime every time!)
  • chicken (even when it's tender and juicy gets stuck)
  • taking big bites. (even when I don't think they are big)
  • eating too fast. (it should take about 30 min for me to eat my 4-6 oz of food)
Now for the unpleasant stuff...
  1. Getting stuck.... This is not fun. I know as soon as I swallow if it's gonna be a problem. It is painful. Kinda like your having a heart attack... pain in your chest and it's difficult to take a deep breath. This lasts about 20-30 min. Once you've been stuck, you are 100% convinced that it is something you NEVER want to let happen again!
  2. Sliming... Yeah... This is as gross as it sounds! When I get stuck or eat too fast, I slime... You know right before you throw up and you start to salivate like crazy? Well.. thats what happens. I guess it's my body's response to thinking something is stuck... when you swallow the (what seems like) gallons of saliva it gets really REALLY thick... kinda snotty and stringy... and if you burp it up or throw up, it's just nasty! (I warned you it was the unpleasant part!)
It's all part of the learning curve.
I do NOT regret getting my band.

I do, however, wonder if I will ever really "enjoy" food again.

Right now, I have to be so totally aware of every aspect...
- did I chew it well enough?
- did I take a small enough bite?
- Am I eating show enough?
- is this a band-friendly food?

I miss just enjoying the food...
But, I guess thats part of the reason I needed to get my band in the first place...
I enjoyed food TOO much!

I am down 46lbs this morning...
I'm wearing clothes that haven't fit in years!
so I ain't complaining!

...well, maybe just a little bit...
But it's all gonna be worth it!


More soon.....
Thanksgiving should be interesting....

2 comments:

  1. 46 lbs! That is awesome!!!!
    I hate when I get stuck. It is pretty gross, the worst is when you are in public.

    Something I have noticed over my three & 3/4 months banded is that it takes your head a little while to catch up... I don't have the same relationship with food as I did pre-band. It just clicks in one day where you say to yourself...I should eat something (protein) as opposed to mmmm such and such sounds so good but I can't have it, poor me :(
    I fuel my body now, because I have to make sure I get my 50g and I need my calories between 1000 and 1200 or I don't lose.
    It is very strange to get to this place cause me and food were BFF's a few months back.
    Good luck on your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! 46! You rock. I agree with Jen, I am getting to that point where food represents something altogether different. Last night it was almost 8 pm and I thought, I guess I should eat something for dinner. Normally I spend half the day planning what to eat, the other half shopping, cooking, and eating! Not anymore. Food is just a small part of life. Its true, we are not BFFs anymore.

    You are doing great. I bet you will get a little looser as time goes on, and you should not have as many problems with sliming, etc.

    ReplyDelete